Alloys: LEONI Histral® H79

Copper based alloy, CuAg0.1

Technical data

Nominal values: Tempered Hard
Resistivity* (Ohm mm2/m) 0.0171 0.0178
Electrical Conductivity* (% IACS) 99 95
Tensile Strength* (N/mm2) 220 520
Elongation* (%) 20 1
Temperature Coefficient of Resistance (1/°C) 0.00381 0.00381
Density (g/cm3) 8.9 8.9

* Data depend on coating conditions, degree of cold working and thermal treatments during manufacturing process 


  • LV112-4 DRAFT
  • DIN CEN/TS 13388


  • Coating: Bare, Silver, Nickel, Tin, Gold
  • Temper: Tempered or hard
  • Single end conductors
  • Stranded conductors
  • Bunched conductors
  • Concentric lay conductors
  • Single end size ≥ 0.025 mm (AWG 50)
  • Other diameters or special constructions are available

** Depending on material combination & construction

Excellent properties

Very high electrical conductivity

Due to the alloy portion in LEONI Histral® H79 being very low, there is just a insignificant decrease in resistance if compared with pure copper. Thus, the material preserves its high electrical conductivity while also featuring a great mechanical strength. Therefore, the material lends itself perfectly to strands where the very low diameter or cross-section must not lead to inadequate tensile strength.

Good mechanical strength

LEONI Histral® H79 is counted among the so-called "low-alloyed copper products“, the copper portion of which is 99.9 % of copper, with no more than the remaining 0.1 % covered by alloy additives (mainly silver in this case). Having been hard-drawn, its mechanical properties even improve, without the very good electrical qualities being impaired. This phenomenon allows for a significant reduction of cross-sections. Consequentially, Histral® H79 lends itself well to applications in which reduced weight plays a primary role. A prime example for this are signal cables, but also shielding braids, both of which require an above-average mechanical strength in order for the actual conductor to be sufficiently protected.

Reduced weight

The outstanding properties of LEONI Histral® H79 translate into much lower cross-sections supporting the same breaking load if compared to pure copper.

Thermal stability

Pure copper in hard condition is susceptible to re-crystallization even at room temperature, at which it already begins to soften again resulting in a loss of mechanical strength. Adding on small quantities of alloys will suffice to vastly increase the point of re-crystallization of hard-drawn materials so that the greater strength is maintained in the event of higher ambient temperature, too. LEONI Histral® H79 has a much better thermal stability than pure copper. Hence, it is also suited for those applications that are subjected to elevated temperatures.


LEONI Histral® H79 has nearly the same resistance as pure copper, while still boasting a conductivity of 99 % IACS (in soft condition).

Contact properties

The crimp qualities of LEONI Histral® H79 correspond to those of pure copper in hard condition. However, the tools applied have to be adapted to the lower cross-sections.

Special applications

Automotive industry

The emphasis is more and more shifting towards environmental protection and husbanding of resources, with the focus revolving around the minimization of weight and consumption accompanied by heightened standards of safety and comfort. The growing use of electronic assistance systems constitutes a major step in this direction, which entails an increasing demand for signal cables. At the same time, the space accorded to cable harnesses is declining because of optimized safety systems. Signal cables made from LEONI Histral® H79 have the potential to render an important contribution to overcoming this predicament.

Data cables / Signal cables

Due to its small alloy portion the resistance value of  LEONI Histral® H79 is nearly the same as of pure copper. Thus, the very good electrical conductivity of the material remains unaffected whilst its excellent mechanical strength persists. This makes it a perfect fit for data cables and signal cables featuring very low diameters and cross-sections, but also a sufficient tensile strength.


On account of its outstanding mechanical properties, LEONI Histral® H79 will not pose any problems when processed downstream into wires as fine as 0.025 mm (AWG 50). It keeps its conductivity level and remains an alloy that is highly suitable for being electro-plated.

Quality & Environment

There are no restrictions whatsoever on using Histral® H79 in the automotive sector.

Custom solution services

You need special designs and products for your applications?

Our R&D team is your partner for customised solutions.

Please contact!